Refreshing orange muffins
By Emily McLaughlin
I have a bag full of oranges that are nearly impossible to peel. To get through the bag a little quicker, I’ve been brainstorming uses for freshly squeezed orange juice. Smoothies, sangria, orange chicken, cake… the possibilities seem endless.
Last week, I made an orange-glazed tempeh (glaze = fresh orange juice, sugar and a dash of cornstarch blended together on a simmer) and for Mother’s Day I baked these refreshing orange muffins! Check ‘em out!
Refreshing orange muffins (Makes 10-12 small muffins)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 tbsp melted butter (let cool)
Zest and juice of a small orange
3 tbsp white sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Greek yogurt, egg, orange juice, vanilla and butter. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and orange zest together. Once combined, add flours, baking powder and baking soda. Mix these dry ingredients together.
- Pour the liquid ingredients from the small bowl into your bowl of dry ingredients and stir to blend.
- Divide the batter into lightly greased (or lined) muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Serve warm or store in fridge/freezer for later.
Stay healthy, stay happy, eat muffins.